The Institute of Chimney Sweeps is a trade association for chimney sweeps run by chimney sweeps.
It was established in order to provide the industry with a benchmark for quality and safety.

It is now the U.K.'s largest chimney sweeping organisation. All of our members receive ongoing training to the highest standard in all aspects of flues and appliances. Many offer repair work as well as regular sweeping.

Our sweeps can call upon the support of an internationally recognised trade association. By selecting one of our members you can rest assured that your home or business chimney will work efficiently, lowering the risk of fire. When an ICS member has swept and smoke tested your chimney you will be issued with a Chimney Safety Certificate, which is a necessary compliance for your house insurance.

Our membership extends throughout the UK, Ireland and Europe. All of our members have Public Liability Insurance and can provide references, upon request. Customers wishing to locate a chimney sweep in their local area can be confident that we are experts in our profession, providing an excellent standard of service.

Chimney fires can quickly spread to your home or business place, putting property, livelihoods, and loved ones in danger. House fires often cause serious damage to the masonry and brick work, leaving you with an expensive repair bill.

All chimneys need to be swept at least once a year, although if the chimney is used often we recommend twice a year. If you use a solid fuel burning appliance you should have your chimney swept at least once a year, preferably before each winter as birds often use chimneys as nesting spots. Falling stonework, rubble, spider webs and leaves can block chimneys and stop or reduce the flow of air. These all combined block previously working chimneys; any blockage can alter the combustion balance or cause carbon monoxide to enter the home instead of being safely vented from the property.

Carbon Monoxide is a silent killer: it has no colour, taste or smell. Even low levels of Carbon Monoxide can lead to permanent ill-health or death, especially in children. The early symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning can easily be mistaken for 'flu. They include nausea, headaches, tiredness, dizziness and pains in the stomach or chest. Look out for sooting or staining around your appliance: it is a sign of inadequate venting of gases.

It is vital that appliances are properly installed and serviced and have sufficient ventilation. We also strongly recommend the installation of a carbon monoxide detector in your home.

Click here to go to their website.